- a seaport in and the capital of Fiji, on Viti Levu island.
- the largest of the Fiji Islands, in the S Pacific. 4053 sq. mi. (10,497 sq. km). Capital: Suva.
Examples from the Web for suva
Historical Examples of suva
I will give an extra day's leave in Suva to the man who helps me.
That signals to the natives for miles around that there are big doings in Suva.
The best building in Suva is a library, donated by a Scotch philanthropist.Seven Legs Across the Seas
The native inquired the time, in dread lest he miss the launch for Suva.The Pacific Triangle
We left Levuka in the evening and reached Suva early next morning.Stevenson's Shrine
- the capital and chief port of Fiji, on the SE coast of Viti Levu; popular tourist resort; University of the South Pacific (1968). Pop: 219 000 (2005 est)
- an independent republic, consisting of 844 islands (chiefly Viti Levu and Vanua Levu) in the SW Pacific: a British colony (1874–1970); a member of the Commonwealth (1970–87 and from 1997); the large islands are of volcanic origin, surrounded by coral reefs; smaller ones are of coral. Official language: English. Religion: Christian and Hindu. Currency: dollar. Capital: Suva. Pop: 896 758 (2013 est). Area: 18 272 sq km (7055 sq miles)
- another word for Fijian
- the largest island of Fiji: mountainous. Chief town (and capital of the state): Suva. Pop: 580 000 (latest est). Area: 10 386 sq km (4010 sq miles)