verb (used without object), sweat or sweat·ed, sweat·ing.
verb (used with object), sweat or sweat·ed, sweat·ing.
- to obtain or extort (money) from someone.
- to extort money from; fleece.
- to heat (an alloy) in order to remove a constituent melting at a lower temperature than the alloy as a whole.
- to heat (solder or the like) to melting.
- to join (metal objects) by heating and pressing together, usually with solder.
- (of clothes) made to be worn for exercise, sports, or other physical activity.
- made of the absorbent fabric used for such clothes: sweat dresses.
- of, for, or associated with such clothes: the sweat look in sportswear.
- to await anxiously the outcome of; endure apprehensively: The accused sweated out the jury's deliberation.
- to work arduously at or toward: The director sweated out a camera angle with the cinematographer.
- to be under a strain; work strenuously.
- to wait anxiously; worry: He was sweating blood while his friend was being questioned by the police.
- to sweat profusely.
- to be apprehensive; worry.
- to wait anxiously; endure the best way one can: There was no news of survivors, so all we could do was sweat it.
- to worry; be apprehensive: You'll do OK, so don't sweat it.
Origin of sweat
Related formssweat·less, adjectivenon·sweat·ing, adjectiveun·sweat·ing, adjective
British Dictionary definitions for sweat bullets
verb sweats, sweating, sweat or sweated
- to work very hard
- to be filled with anxiety or impatience
Derived Formssweatless, adjective
Word Origin for sweat
Medicine definitions for sweat bullets
Science definitions for sweat bullets
Idioms and Phrases with sweat bullets (1 of 2)
Perspire profusely; also, suffer mental anguish. For example, We were sweating bullets, sitting in the sun through all those graduation speeches, or It was their first baby, and David was sweating bullets while Karen was in labor. The bullets in this expression allude to drops of perspiration the size of bullets. [Slang; mid-1900s]
Idioms and Phrases with sweat bullets (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with sweat
- sweat blood
- sweat bullets
- sweat of one's brow
- sweat out
- by the sweat of one's brow
- in a cold sweat
- no problem (sweat)