verb (used without object), sweat or sweat·ed, sweat·ing.
verb (used with object), sweat or sweat·ed, sweat·ing.
- to obtain or extort (money) from someone.
- to extort money from; fleece.
- to heat (an alloy) in order to remove a constituent melting at a lower temperature than the alloy as a whole.
- to heat (solder or the like) to melting.
- to join (metal objects) by heating and pressing together, usually with solder.
- (of clothes) made to be worn for exercise, sports, or other physical activity.
- made of the absorbent fabric used for such clothes: sweat dresses.
- of, for, or associated with such clothes: the sweat look in sportswear.
- to await anxiously the outcome of; endure apprehensively: The accused sweated out the jury's deliberation.
- to work arduously at or toward: The director sweated out a camera angle with the cinematographer.
Words nearby sweat
Idioms for sweat
- to be under a strain; work strenuously.
- to wait anxiously; worry: He was sweating blood while his friend was being questioned by the police.
- to sweat profusely.
- to be apprehensive; worry.
- to wait anxiously; endure the best way one can: There was no news of survivors, so all we could do was sweat it.
- to worry; be apprehensive: You'll do OK, so don't sweat it.
Origin of sweat
OTHER WORDS FROM sweatsweat·less, adjectivenon·sweat·ing, adjectiveun·sweat·ing, adjective
synonym study for sweat
historical usage of sweat
British Dictionary definitions for sweat out (1 of 2)
verb (tr, adverb)
British Dictionary definitions for sweat out (2 of 2)
verb sweats, sweating, sweat or sweated
- to work very hard
- to be filled with anxiety or impatience
Derived forms of sweatsweatless, adjective
Word Origin for sweat
Medical definitions for sweat out
Scientific definitions for sweat out
Idioms and Phrases with sweat out (1 of 2)
Endure or await something anxiously, as in He sweated out that last final exam, or I don't know if I made the team—I'm still sweating it out. This idiom, often expanded to sweat it out, was first recorded in 1876.
Idioms and Phrases with sweat out (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with sweat
- sweat blood
- sweat bullets
- sweat of one's brow
- sweat out
- by the sweat of one's brow
- in a cold sweat
- no problem (sweat)