- a person or thing that swings.
- Slang. a lively, active, and modern person whose activities are fashionable or trendy.
- a person who indulges in promiscuous sex.
- a person who engages in the exchanging of spouses for sexual activities.
Origin of swinger
- to thrash; punish.
Origin of swinge1
Related Words for swingersoddball, liberal, radical, dissident, separatist, sectary, iconoclast, demonstrator, freak, protester, beatnik, malcontent, maverick, individualist, eccentric, dropout, weirdo, rebel, dissenter, heretic
Examples from the Web for swingers
Contemporary Examples of swingers
Those two words from the movie Swingers have come to represent American impulsiveness in all its glory.Meghan McCain: Let John McCain Go to Las Vegas
March 15, 2011
Historical Examples of swingers
And with him went the monks and the musicians, and the candle-bearers, and the swingers of censers, and a great company.A House of Pomegranates
- (tr) archaic to beat, flog, or punish
Word Origin for swinge
- a person regarded as being modern and lively
- a person who swaps sexual partners in a group, esp habitually
"person who is lively in an unrestrained way," 1965, agent noun from swing (v.). With various other slang senses traceable to 1590s.