- noting or pertaining to a synchronized shifting mechanism.
- a synchronized shifting mechanism.
- any of the gears of such a mechanism.
Origin of synchromesh
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of a gearbox, etc) having a system of clutches that synchronizes the speeds of the driving and driven members before engagement to avoid shock in gear changing and to reduce noise and wear
- a gear system having these features
Word Origin for synchromesh
C20: shortened from synchronized mesh
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012