verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
- to talk to in a manner that indicates that a response is not expected or wanted.
- to direct remarks meant for one person to another person present; speak indirectly to.
- to overwhelm by force of argument or by loud and persistent talking; subdue by talking.
- to speak disparagingly of; belittle.
- Also talk in. to give instructions to by radio for a ground-controlled landing, especially to a pilot who is unable to make a conventional landing because of snow, fog, etc.
- to talk until conversation is exhausted.
- to attempt to reach a settlement or understanding by discussion: We arrived at a compromise by talking out the problem.
- British Politics. to thwart the passage of (a bill, motion, etc.) by prolonging discussion until the session of Parliament adjourns.Compare filibuster(def 5).
- to weigh in conversation; consider; discuss.
- to cause (someone) to change an opinion; convince by talking: He became an expert at talking people over to his views.
- to promote interest in; discuss enthusiastically.
- to speak without hesitation; speak distinctly and openly: If you don't talk up now, you may not get another chance.
- to impede or prevent the passage of (a bill) through filibustering.
- to talk to incessantly or at great length.
Origin of talk
Examples from the Web for talker
As one Russian newspaper enthused, Medvedev wants “to prove that he is a doer and not just a talker.”
"Luttrell" (Henry), a talker and versifier very well known in his own day, but of less enduring reputation than some others.A Letter Book|George Saintsbury
But I must first beg leave just to hint to you that we may suffer very great detriment by being open to every talker.
I don't believe there was ever another such a talker as he was.The Sword of Antietam|Joseph A. Altsheler
British Dictionary definitions for talker
Derived Formstalkable, adjectivetalkability, nountalker, noun
Word Origin for talk
Idioms and Phrases with talker
In addition to the idioms beginning with talk
- talk around
- talk at
- talk back
- talk big
- talk dirty
- talk down
- talk down to
- talked out
- talk into
- talk of the town, the
- talk out
- talk out of
- talk over
- talk sense
- talk shop
- talk someone's arm off
- talk through one's hat
- talk to
- talk turkey
- talk up
- all talk
- dirty joke (talk dirty)
- double talk
- heart to heart (talk)
- look who's talking
- money talks
- now you're talking
- small talk
- straight talk
- sweet talk