- to talk to in a manner that indicates that a response is not expected or wanted.
- to direct remarks meant for one person to another person present; speak indirectly to.
- to overwhelm by force of argument or by loud and persistent talking; subdue by talking.
- to speak disparagingly of; belittle.
- Also talk in. to give instructions to by radio for a ground-controlled landing, especially to a pilot who is unable to make a conventional landing because of snow, fog, etc.
- to talk until conversation is exhausted.
- to attempt to reach a settlement or understanding by discussion: We arrived at a compromise by talking out the problem.
- British Politics. to thwart the passage of (a bill, motion, etc.) by prolonging discussion until the session of Parliament adjourns.Compare filibuster (def. 5).
- to weigh in conversation; consider; discuss.
- to cause (someone) to change an opinion; convince by talking: He became an expert at talking people over to his views.
- to promote interest in; discuss enthusiastically.
- to speak without hesitation; speak distinctly and openly: If you don't talk up now, you may not get another chance.
Idioms about talk
- to impede or prevent the passage of (a bill) through filibustering.
- to talk to incessantly or at great length.
Origin of talk
synonym study for talk
OTHER WORDS FROM talk
How to use talk in a sentence
LinkedIn said it is in talks with the Media Ratings Council to audit its ad measurement metrics and with Moat for viewability measurement.Social Shorts: Instagram pegs Reels and Shop, Pinterest’s engagement metric, TikTok’s size and more|Ginny Marvin|November 16, 2020|Search Engine Land
NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine mentioned in June that Axiom was involved in those talks.A private company has a crew going to the ISS next year|Neel Patel|November 12, 2020|MIT Technology Review
The plan, proposed earlier this year, set a goal of getting down to a few hundred troops by May 2021, assuming the peace talks moved forward and conditions on the battlefield allowed for it.Amid Pentagon upheaval, military officers face a fraught few months|Missy Ryan, Dan Lamothe, Greg Jaffe, Josh Dawsey|November 12, 2020|Washington Post
We had Ashley apologize to her aunt and also had many good talks about bullying and sensitivity.Carolyn Hax: The repercussions of a niece’s insensitive comments|Carolyn Hax|November 9, 2020|Washington Post
There was talk of former national security adviser Michael Flynn, and a pardon that was sure to come, and a truth that would finally be revealed.It began on a gold escalator. It may have ended at Four Seasons Total Landscaping.|Dan Zak, Karen Heller|November 8, 2020|Washington Post
Picasso, that volcanic talker, filled volumes with his anecdotes, aphorisms, and witticisms.Rackstraw Downes’s Art and Essays Are Two Sides of the Same Genius|Bill Morris|June 4, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Elected Republicans, usually loathe to offend the influential talker, distanced themselves from his comments.
Syndicated radio talker Mark Levin calls him “Plugs” because he appears to have had hair transplants.Joe Biden Portrayed as Key Deal Broker in New Bob Woodward Book on Obama|Eli Lake|September 7, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Other terms for Santorum: “religious,” “sanctimonious,” and “God-talker.”The GOP Candidates Defined? A Word Cloud From Daily Beast Readers|Sam Schlinkert|February 25, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Last night radio talker Mark Levin upbraided Ann Coulter for her column endorsing Romneycare.
And hand-painting it allus seemed to me, is really elocution in oils; for a be-yutiful picture is a silent talker.The Soldier of the Valley|Nelson Lloyd
She says if he'd cut 'em off and look more like other men she'd be real proud of him, he's such a good talker.Dorothy at Skyrie|Evelyn Raymond
With her self-depreciation she was one thing that she was not likely to guessthe prettiest talker in the world.
What a capital talker he was at the social board, and how ready to join in harmless merriment!Skipper Worse|Alexander Lange Kielland
Tessa, began Dine abruptly as they were brushing their hair at bedtime, isnt Gus a fine talker?
British Dictionary definitions for talk
Derived forms of talktalkable, adjectivetalkability, nountalker, noun
Word Origin for talk
Other Idioms and Phrases with talk
In addition to the idioms beginning with talk
- talk around
- talk at
- talk back
- talk big
- talk dirty
- talk down
- talk down to
- talked out
- talk into
- talk of the town, the
- talk out
- talk out of
- talk over
- talk sense
- talk shop
- talk someone's arm off
- talk through one's hat
- talk to
- talk turkey
- talk up
- all talk
- dirty joke (talk dirty)
- double talk
- heart to heart (talk)
- look who's talking
- money talks
- now you're talking
- small talk
- straight talk
- sweet talk