- a city in and the capital of Florida, in the N part.
- a state in the SE United States between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. 58,560 sq. mi. (151,670 sq. km). Capital: Tallahassee. Abbreviation: FL (for use with zip code), Fla.
- Straits of. Also called Florida Straits, Florida Strait. an ocean passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba connecting the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
Examples from the Web for tallahassee
Contemporary Examples of tallahassee
Tallahassee is full of former staffers, consultants, lobbyists, and others who have worked around, with, and for Crist.The Messy, Sordid Story of Jim Greer, Charlie Crist’s Man to a Fault
June 29, 2014
“Tallahassee is a big football town,” Detective Scott Angulo allegedly told her.FSU Quarterback Jameis Winston Wins Heisman Trophy
December 16, 2013
Tallahassee police say they made the case inactive after the victim stopped talking them—a claim that Carroll has denied.Jameis Winston Rape Ruling to Come After ACC Championship
November 29, 2013
At a polling place in Tallahassee, Fla., an Obama poster reading “Change the Atmosphere” was reported to the local authorities.Across America, Voters Are Finding It’s Not So Easy to Cast a Ballot
November 6, 2012
At times in Tallahassee he seemed more interested in meeting Tim Tebow or Dan Marino than in passing pieces of legislation.Who is Marco Rubio? Life Story Revealed in Manuel Roig-Franzia’s Biography
June 18, 2012
Historical Examples of tallahassee
They said their father was in Tallahassee, and they were getting out the paper.
Two Indians were caught in the neighborhood of Tallahassee with the blood-hounds.
In Tallahassee they were subjected to frequent scares from the Indians.
There are no paved streets in Tallahassee; if so, I didn't see them.
He married a grandniece of George Washington, and died in Tallahassee in 1847.
- a city in N Florida, capital of the state: two universities. Pop: 153 938 (2003 est)
- a state of the southeastern US, between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico: consists mostly of a low-lying peninsula ending in the Florida Keys a chain of small islands off the coast of S Florida, extending southwest for over 160 km (100 miles). Capital: Tallahassee. Pop: 17 019 068 (2003 est). Area: 143 900 sq km (55 560 sq miles)Abbreviation: Fla., (with zip code) FL
- Straits of Florida a sea passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba, linking the Atlantic with the Gulf of Mexico
Word Origin and History for tallahassee
place in Florida, U.S.A., 1799, from Muskogee tvlvhasse, name of a tribal town, perhaps from etvlwv "tribal town" + vhasse "old, rancid."
U.S. state, formerly a Spanish colony, probably from Spanish Pascua florida, literally "flowering Easter," a Spanish name for Palm Sunday, because the peninsula was discovered on that day (March 20, 1513) by the expedition of Spanish explorer Ponce de León (1474-1521). From Latin floridus (see florid).