- the science or technique of classification.
- a classification into ordered categories: a proposed taxonomy of educational objectives.
- Biology. the science dealing with the description, identification, naming, and classification of organisms.
Origin of taxonomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for taxonomically
The characters of the hands and feet are among the most taxonomically important external features in Smilisca.Neotropical Hylid Frogs, Genus Smilisca
William E. Duellman
The media in the countries in transition is taxonomically not dissimilar to its brethren in the West.After the Rain
Taxonomically the Genus Ammospiza has received the attention of ornithologists for more than a century.Comparative Breeding Behavior of Ammospiza caudacuta and A. maritima
Glen E. Woolfenden
Birds breeding in Kansas are taxonomically, ecologically, and distributionally diverse.The Breeding Birds of Kansas
Richard F. Johnston
- the branch of biology concerned with the classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure, origin, etc
- the practice of arranging organisms in this way
- the science or practice of classification
C19: from French taxonomie, from Greek taxis order + -nomy
Word Origin and History for taxonomically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships.
- The science, laws, or principles of classification; systematics.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The scientific classification of organisms into specially named groups based either on shared characteristics or on evolutionary relationships as inferred from the fossil record or established by genetic analysis.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The classification of living things. (See Linnean classification.)
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.