Idioms about tee
Origin of tee1
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH teetea, tee
Words nearby tee
Other definitions for tee (2 of 3)
- Also called teeing ground. the starting place, usually a hard mound of earth, at the beginning of play for each hole.
- a small wooden, plastic, metal, or rubber peg from which the ball is driven, as in teeing off.
- Golf. to strike the ball from a tee.
- Slang. to reprimand severely; scold: He teed off on his son for wrecking the car.
- Informal. to begin: They teed off the program with a medley of songs.
- Baseball, Softball. to make many runs and hits, especially extra-base hits: teeing off for six runs on eight hits, including three doubles and a home run.
- Baseball, Softball. to hit (a pitched ball) hard and far: He teed off on a fastball and drove it into the bleachers.
- Boxing. to strike with a powerful blow, especially to the head: He teed off on his opponent with an overhand right.
- Slang. to make angry, irritated, or disgusted: She was teed off because her dinner guests were late.
Origin of tee2
Other definitions for tee (3 of 3)
How to use tee in a sentence
The kids had a gift for him too, a tee shirt with ‘Baseball Spoken Here’ stenciled across the front.
One of my favorite tee shirts proclaims “I am already against the next war.”From the Levant to Ferguson to Baltimore, The Most Violent Summer in Years|Gene Robinson|September 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
She smirks from the side of coffee mugs, tee shirts, post cards, and books around the world.The Life of Lisa Gherardini del Giocondo, the (Most Likely) Real 'Mona Lisa'|Justin Jones|August 9, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Oddly, given that the games are in the land of the midnight tee-time, there is no golf on the roster, and never has been.Kiss the…Queen’s Baton? The British Empire Is Alive and Well|Debra A. Klein|May 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
By that time, his arms were so tired from three full swings a hole that he could hardly knock the ball off the tee.
A tight-fitting wood plug is driven into the throughway of the tee and the ends ground off flush on the emery wheel.The Boy Mechanic, Book 2|Various
Th' prisident was first off th' tee with an excellent three while his opponent was almost hopelessly bunkered in a camera.Mr. Dooley Says|Finley Dunne
"Let's sit in that car down by the first tee," Harold suggested.Quin|Alice Hegan Rice
A "tee" is a small mound of sand or earth upon which the ball rests.The Complete Bachelor|Walter Germain
They came together, however, on the putting-green, and had a short walk to the next tee.Mysterious Mr. Sabin|E. Phillips Oppenheim