- a city in and the capital of Honduras, in the S part.
- a republic in NE Central America. 43,277 sq. mi. (112,087 sq. km). Capital: Tegucigalpa.
- Gulf of, an arm of the Caribbean Sea, bordered by Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras.
Examples from the Web for tegucigalpa
Contemporary Examples of tegucigalpa
From Tegucigalpa, Honduran president Porfirio Lobo Sosa wrote that his country “has followed this ordeal as if it were our own.”6 Tales From the Mine
October 13, 2010
Historical Examples of tegucigalpa
That night at Tegucigalpa, Prale had talked to her and had danced with her twice.
The specimens from the state of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, are larger.American Weasels
E. Raymond Hall
Jutigalpa is the second city of Honduras, being surpassed only by Tegucigalpa.
Two days later we pitched camp outside of Tegucigalpa, the promised city, the capital of the Republic.Captain Macklin
Richard Harding Davis
The first time had been at Tegucigalpa, at a ball given by some society people for charity.
- the capital of Honduras, in the south on the Choluteca River: founded about 1579; university (1847). Pop: 1 061 000 (2005 est)
- a republic in Central America: an early centre of Mayan civilization; colonized by the Spanish from 1524 onwards; gained independence in 1821. Official language: Spanish; English is also widely spoken. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: lempira. Capital: Tegucigalpa. Pop: 8 448 465 (2013 est). Area: 112 088 sq km (43 277 sq miles)
- Gulf of Honduras an inlet of the Caribbean, on the coasts of Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize
Spanish, literally "the depths," probably in reference to coastal waters on the east side. Said to have been called that by Columbus in 1524. Related: Honduran.