Tegucigalpa [t uh-goo-si- gal-p uh; te-goo-see- Spanish gahl-pah] EXAMPLES | noun a city in and the capital of Honduras, in the S part. Honduras [hon- d- oo r uh s, - dy-; oo r awn- Spanish doo- rahs] noun a republic in NE Central America. 43,277 sq. mi. (112,087 sq. km). : Tegucigalpa. Capital Gulf of, an arm of the Caribbean Sea, bordered by Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. Related forms Hon·du·ran, Hon·du·ra·ne·an, Hon·du·ra·ni·an , [hon-d uh- rey-nee- uh n] /ˌhɒn dəˈreɪ ni ən/ adjective, noun pro-Hon·du·ran, adjective, noun
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
Examples from the Web for tegucigalpa Contemporary Examples of tegucigalpa Historical Examples of tegucigalpa
That night at
Tegucigalpa, Prale had talked to her and had danced with her twice.
The specimens from the state of
Tegucigalpa, Honduras, are larger.
Jutigalpa is the second city of Honduras, being surpassed only by
Two days later we pitched camp outside of
Tegucigalpa, the promised city, the capital of the Republic.
The first time had been at
Tegucigalpa, at a ball given by some society people for charity. British Dictionary definitions for tegucigalpa noun the capital of Honduras, in the south on the Choluteca River: founded about 1579; university (1847). Pop: 1 061 000 (2005 est) noun a republic in Central America: an early centre of Mayan civilization; colonized by the Spanish from 1524 onwards; gained independence in 1821. Official language: Spanish; English is also widely spoken. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: lempira. Capital: Tegucigalpa. Pop: 8 448 465 (2013 est). Area: 112 088 sq km (43 277 sq miles) Gulf of Honduras an inlet of the Caribbean, on the coasts of Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for tegucigalpa
Spanish, literally "the depths," probably in reference to coastal waters on the east side. Said to have been called that by Columbus in 1524. Related:
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.