- an instrument for measuring longitudinal stress in wires, structural beams, etc.
- an instrument for measuring the surface tension of a liquid.
Origin of tensiometer
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an instrument for measuring the tensile strength of a wire, beam, etc
- a device that measures differences in vapour pressures. It is used to determine transition points by observing changes of vapour pressure with temperature
- an instrument for measuring the surface tension of a liquid, usually consisting of a sensitive balance for measuring the force needed to pull a wire ring from the surface of the liquid
- an instrument for measuring the moisture content of soil
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012