[tur-sen-ten-uh-ree, tur-sen-tn-er-ee; especially British tur-sen-tee-nuh-ree]
Origin of tercentenary
- pertaining to 300 years or a period of 300 years.
- marking the completion of such a period: a tricentennial celebration.
- a 300th anniversary or its celebration.
Also tercentenary, tercentennial.
Origin of tricentennial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tercentennial
I again heartily commend to your favorable consideration the tercentennial celebration at Jamestown, Va.State of the Union Addresses of Theodore Roosevelt
- of or relating to a period of 300 years
- of or relating to a 300th anniversary or its celebration
- an anniversary of 300 years or its celebration
Also called: tricentennial
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for tercentennial
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper