- a melody in an operetta or musical comedy so emphasized by repetition as to dominate the presentation.
- a melody identifying or identified with a radio or television program, dance band, etc., usually played at the beginning of each program.
- an expression, comment, or subject of conversation that a person or group uses habitually.
Origin of theme song
An Americanism dating back to 1925–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for theme song
It goes without saying the theme-song “Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?”‘Sesame Street’ Is Middle-Aged and Awesome
November 10, 2014
- a melody used, esp in a film score, to set a mood, introduce a character, etc
- another term for signature tune