- (used to refer to a generic or unspecified person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): No one who ignores the law can call themselves a good citizen.
- (used to refer to a specific or known person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): I want to help my friend who is harming themselves.
- (used to refer to a nonbinary or gender-nonconforming person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): Ash introduced themselves to the job recruiter.
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
Origin of themselves
Words nearby themselves
Example sentences from the Web for themselves
Specifically, the pilots got themselves into a high altitude stall, where the wings lose the capacity to provide lift.Flight 8501 Poses Question: Are Modern Jets Too Automated to Fly?|Clive Irving|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Regardless, few had been given any reason to believe they could build a life for themselves beyond the streets.
The reviews in themselves constitute a demonstration of why the regime restricts the Internet.Inside the ‘Surprisingly Great’ North Korean Hacker Hotel|Michael Daly|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Now they are a notch on a belt, and the savior can feel good about themselves.To Catch a Sex Worker: A&E’s Awful, Exploitative Ambush Show|Samantha Allen|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
My parents are building a mausoleum for themselves in my childhood home.
To those who have been unfortunate let me say frankly that they owe it to themselves.
The Maoris themselves have observed this fact and applied the principle to their own obvious fate.Influences of Geographic Environment|Ellen Churchill Semple
Only one doesn't like to see one's friends make fools of themselves—and that's what most men do in Paris, isn't it?The Transgression of Andrew Vane|Guy Wetmore Carryl
That they should leave her to drown, while they themselves fled to comparative safety in a boat, was more than he could believe.The Stolen Singer|Martha Idell Fletcher Bellinger
The adorning of themselves was for this express and particular end.Xerxes|Jacob Abbott
British Dictionary definitions for themselves
- the reflexive form of they or them
- (intensifier)the team themselves voted on it