- the position of a fielder on the off side between slip and point.
- the fielder occupying this position.
- the position of a player, first in the line of defense between center and goal.
- the player occupying this position.
CAN YOU GUESS THESE WORDS FROM AROUND THE US?
American English is not always as it appears to be ... get to know regional words in this quiz!
Question 1 of 10
A bet is synonymous with a wager, but what does it mean in New York?
Origin of third man
First recorded in 1870–75
Words nearby third man
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
British Dictionary definitions for third man
- a fielding position on the off side near the boundary behind the batsman's wicket
- a fielder in this position
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012