- a city in and the capital of Venda, in NE South Africa.
- a self-governing Bantu territory of South Africa in the NE part: granted independence in 1979 by South Africa, but not recognized by any other country as an independent state. 2510 sq. mi. (6500 sq. km). Capital: Thohoyandou.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- plural -da or -das a member of a Negroid people of southern Africa, living chiefly in NE South Africa
- the language of this people, belonging to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family but not easily related to any other members of the group
- a former Bantu homeland in South Africa, near the Zimbabwe border; abolished in 1993. Capital: Thohoyandou
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012