- an apostle who demanded proof of Christ's Resurrection. John 20:24–29.
- Augustus,1857–1934, U.S. playwright, journalist, and actor.
- (Charles Louis) Am·broise [sharl lwee ahn-brwaz] /ʃarl lwi ɑ̃ˈbrwaz/, 1811–96, French composer.
- Clarence,born 1948, U.S. jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court since 1991.
- Dyl·an (Mar·lais) [dil-uh n mahr-ley] /ˈdɪl ən ˈmɑr leɪ/, 1914–53, Welsh poet and short-story writer.
- George Henry,1816–70, Union general in the U.S. Civil War.
- Isaiah,1749–1831, U.S. printer, journalist and publisher of Revolutionary literature.
- IsiahZeke, born 1961, U.S. basketball player, coach, and executive.
- John,1724–76, American physician and general in the American Revolution.
- Lowell (Jackson),1892–1981, U.S. newscaster, world traveler, and writer.
- Martha Carey,1857–1935, U.S. educator and women's-rights advocate.
- Norman (Mat·toon) [muh-toon] /məˈtun/, 1884–1968, U.S. socialist leader and political writer.
- Seth,1785–1859, U.S. clock designer and manufacturer.
- Theodore,1835–1905, U.S. orchestra conductor, born in Germany.
- William Isaac,1863–1947, U.S. sociologist.
- doubting Thomas.
- a male given name: from an Aramaic word meaning “twin.”
Examples from the Web for thomas
We read Thomas Piketty because we needed to understand these failures to have any hope of grappling with them.
Thomas Piketty raised the Big Questions this year about democracy and inequality.
Thomas Sadoski should be the frontrunner to play every smarmy privileged thirty-something from now on.'The Newsroom' Ended As It Began: Weird, Controversial, and Noble
December 15, 2014
The eyes of people like Thomas Patrick Cullen III, firefighter, Squad 41, husband, father, 31 years old.Dick Cheney vs. ‘Unbroken’
December 15, 2014
Kaimipono Wenger teaches at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California.We Need More Ferguson-style Grand Juries
November 30, 2014
This and other extracts from the same poet are translated by Thomas Moore, Esq.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
“Thou shouldst bring him one of these days,” said Sir Thomas.
Friends were there asking after their own Will, or John, or Thomas, as the case might be.
The account of sales is in the hand writing of Capt. Thomas Potts.A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion
William Dobein James
You on the left, Howett, and Thomas of Redbridge upon the right.The White Company
Arthur Conan Doyle
- Saint. Also called: doubting Thomas. one of the twelve apostles, who refused to believe in Christ's resurrection until he had seen his wounds (John 20:24–29). Feast day: July 3 or Dec 2l or Oct 6
- (French tɔmɑ) Ambroise (ɑ̃brwaz). 1811–96, French composer of light operas, including Mignon (1866)
- Dylan (Marlais) (ˈdɪlən). 1914–53, Welsh poet and essayist. His works include the prose Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog (1940), the verse collection Deaths and Entrances (1946), and his play for voices Under Milk Wood (1954)
- (Philip) Edward, pen name Edward Eastaway. 1878–1917, British poet and critic: killed in World War I
- R (onald) S (tuart). 1913–2000, Welsh poet and clergyman. His collections include Song at the Year's Turning (1955), Not that He Brought Flowers (1968), and Laboratories of the Spirit (1975)
Word Origin and History for thomas
from Greek Thomas, of Aramaic origin and said to mean "a twin" (John's gospel refers to Thomas as ho legomenos didymos "called the twin;" cf. Syriac toma "twin," Arabic tau'am "twin"). Before the Conquest, found only as the name of a priest. After 1066, one of the most common given names in English. Doubting Thomas is from John xx:25; A Thomist (1530s, from Medieval Latin Thomista, mid-14c.) is a follower of 13c. scholastic theologian St. Thomas Aquinas. (Also see Tom, Tommy).
Thomas(tŏm′əs)E(dward) Donnall Born 1920
- American physician. He shared a 1990 Nobel Prize for developing techniques of transplanting bone marrow.
Idioms and Phrases with thomas
see doubting thomas.