- being in direct confrontation or opposition.
- in a position or attitude of direct confrontation: slugging it out toe-to-toe.
Origin of toe-to-toe
First recorded in 1925–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- in one-to-one combat or in direct competitionthere aren't many fighters willing to go toe-to-toe with him
- (of battles, confrontations, or contests) involving two people or groups fighting with or competing against each othera toe-to-toe battle
- a fight, confrontation, or contest between two people or groups
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012