- being in direct confrontation or opposition.
- in a position or attitude of direct confrontation: slugging it out toe-to-toe.
Origin of toe-to-toe
First recorded in 1925–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
- in one-to-one combat or in direct competitionthere aren't many fighters willing to go toe-to-toe with him
- (of battles, confrontations, or contests) involving two people or groups fighting with or competing against each othera toe-to-toe battle
- a fight, confrontation, or contest between two people or groups