- high-toned; stylish: a tony nightclub.
Origin of tony
- one of a group of awards made annually by the American Theatre Wing, a professional school for the performing arts, for achievements in theatrical production and performance.
Origin of Tony1
- Anthony Charles Lyn·ton [lin-tuh n] /ˈlɪn tən/Tony, born 1953, British political leader: prime minister 1997–2007.
- Bonnie,born 1964, U.S. speed skater.
- John,1732–1800, U.S. jurist.
- Also Blaire. a male or female given name.
Related Wordschic, chichi, contemporary, current, customary, dashing, favored, fly, genteel, hot, latest, mod, modern, modish, natty, new, newfangled, now, popular, posh
Examples from the Web for tony
Malaysian-based entrepreneur Tony Fernandes has turned AirAsia into the most successful low cost airline in southeast Asia.Annoying Airport Delays Might Prevent You From Becoming the Next AirAsia 8501
January 6, 2015
Tony Shalhoub, Act One Sometimes you realize the power of a performance only when it remains in your mind many months later.Hedwig, Hugh & Michael Cera: 12 Powerhouse Theater Performances of 2014
December 31, 2014
But I trusted Tony Robbins could sort me out on both fronts.Can Self-Help Books Really Make a New You?
December 29, 2014
The feisty airline is the brainchild of entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, a Malaysian of Indian descent who also is a British citizen.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370
December 29, 2014
His explanation only diminishes the irresistible excitement we feel while watching Tony Perkins peer at Janet Leigh in her shower.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
Harriet was "tony" because she walked with her elbows in and her head up.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
When you are free of your cloak, Tony Cross, dismount and let us embrace.In the Valley
A brother may not be a friend: but a friend will always be a brother—mind that, as your uncle Tony says!Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9)
Dorothy recollected that Mrs. Vansittart had said something like this about Tony Cornish.
Tony Cornish had a cheery way with him which made other men talk.
- US and Canadian informal stylish or distinctive; classy
- any of several medallions awarded annually in the United States by a professional school for the performing arts for outstanding achievement in the theatre
- Tony, full name Anthony Charles Lynton Blair . born 1953, British politician; leader of the Labour Party (1994–2007); prime minister (1997–2007); Middle East peace envoy from 2007
Word Origin and History for tony
1877, American English slang, from high-toned. It was the name of a reddish-brown fashion color in the 1920s.
1947, awards given by American Theatre Wing (New York), from nickname of U.S. actress, manager, and producer Antoinette Perry (1888-1946).