- the detailed mapping or charting of the features of a relatively small area, district, or locality.
- the detailed description, especially by means of surveying, of particular localities, as cities, towns, or estates.
- the relief features or surface configuration of an area.
- the features, relations, or configuration of a structural entity.
- a schema of a structural entity, as of the mind, a field of study, or society, reflecting a division into distinct areas having a specific relation or a specific position relative to one another.
Origin of topography
Related Words for topographycontour, profile, province, domain, land, form, area, soil, region, sphere, field, shape, dominion, bailiwick, country, turf, territory, ground
Examples from the Web for topography
Contemporary Examples of topography
Mr. Netanyahu has pledged to erect a similar barrier along the Syrian frontier, with changes to suit the topography.Israel Building a Syrian Border Fence
January 7, 2013
He knows the topography and geography of Israel/Palestine, literally street by street and wadi by wadi.How to Revive The Peace Process: A Modest Proposal
Letty Cottin Pogrebin
May 9, 2012
In the earliest days of agriculture, having the right temperatures, rainfall, and topography was all-important.Why the West Rules—For Now
December 25, 2010
For cities, topography is destiny and most especially this is true of Venice.My Biennale Favorites
June 8, 2009
Historical Examples of topography
Let the River Marne be used as a base from which this topography can be determined.
Mark how well the events which I relate accord with the topography of the spot.The Book-Hunter at Home
P. B. M. Allan
It was also rich in natural science, topography, and antiquities.The Book-Hunter in London
I should have to speak from memory, and I must not make another slip in topography.Bonaventure
George Washington Cable
In the 'Inferno' I could never get head or tail of the topography.The Daughter of a Magnate
Frank H. Spearman
- the study or detailed description of the surface features of a region
- the detailed mapping of the configuration of a region
- the land forms or surface configuration of a region
- the surveying of a region's surface features
- the study or description of the configuration of any object
- The description of the regions of the body or of a body part, especially the regions of a definite and limited area of the surface.
- The three-dimensional arrangement of physical attributes (such as shape, height, and depth) of a land surface in a place or region. Physical features that make up the topography of an area include mountains, valleys, plains, and bodies of water. Human-made features such as roads, railroads, and landfills are also often considered part of a region's topography.
- The detailed description or drawing of the physical features of a place or region, especially in the form of contour maps.