- to carry, as on one's back or in one's arms: to tote a bundle.
- to carry on one's person: to tote a gun.
- to transport or convey, as on a vehicle or boat.
- the act or course of toting.
- something that is toted.
- tote bag.
Origin of tote1
- (tr) to carry, convey, or drag
- the act of or an instance of toting
- something toted
Word Origin for tote
"to carry," 1670s, of unknown origin; originally attested in Virginia, but OED discounts the popular theory of its origin in a W.African language (cf. Kikongo tota "pick up," Kimbundu tuta "carry, load," related to Swahili tuta "pile up, carry"). Related: Toted; toting. Tote bag is first recorded 1900.