- having a chromosome number that is three times the basic or haploid number.
- a triploid cell or organism.
Origin of triploid
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having or relating to three times the haploid number of chromosomesa triploid organism
- a triploid organism
Word Origin for triploid
C19: from Greek tripl (oos) triple + (hapl) oid
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus.
- A triploid organism or cell.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.