[verb trich-uh-reyt; noun trich-er-it]
- to reduce to fine particles or powder by rubbing, grinding, bruising, or the like; pulverize.
- a triturated substance.
- Pharmacology. trituration(def 3).
Origin of triturate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to grind or rub into a fine powder or pulp; masticate
- the powder or pulp resulting from this grinding
Word Origin for triturate
C17: from Late Latin trītūrāre to thresh, from Latin trītūra a threshing, from terere to grind
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1755, from Late Latin trituratus, past participle of triturare "to thresh, to grind," from Latin tritura "a rubbing, a threshing," from past participle stem of terere "to rub" (see throw). Related: Triturated; triturating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To rub, crush, grind, or pound into fine particles or a powder.
- A triturated substance, especially a powdered drug.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.