[verb trich-uh-reyt; noun trich-er-it]
- to reduce to fine particles or powder by rubbing, grinding, bruising, or the like; pulverize.
- a triturated substance.
- Pharmacology. trituration(def 3).
Origin of triturate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to grind or rub into a fine powder or pulp; masticate
- the powder or pulp resulting from this grinding
C17: from Late Latin trītūrāre to thresh, from Latin trītūra a threshing, from terere to grind
Word Origin and History for triturator
1755, from Late Latin trituratus, past participle of triturare "to thresh, to grind," from Latin tritura "a rubbing, a threshing," from past participle stem of terere "to rub" (see throw). Related: Triturated; triturating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To rub, crush, grind, or pound into fine particles or a powder.
- A triturated substance, especially a powdered drug.