- something without use or value; rubbish; trash; worthless stuff.
- nonsense; twaddle: His usual conversation is pure trumpery.
- Archaic. worthless finery.
- of little or no value; trifling, worthless; rubbishy; trashy.
Origin of trumpery
Examples from the Web for trumpery
Historical Examples of trumpery
But I might have known that she could not, all at once, wean herself from the trumpery.The Bacillus of Beauty
There's suffering enough, without adding to it with our trumpery judgments!Joy (First Series Plays)
Some of them were not trumpery; they were as big as the heavens and the sea.The Prisoner
Do they imagine that I either knew or cared for their trumpery wager!Barrington
Charles James Lever
The trumpery thing had seemed a sign to them, and now the sign was broken.Tristram of Blent
- foolish talk or actions
- a useless or worthless article; trinket
- useless or worthless
Word Origin for trumpery
mid-15c., "deceit, trickery," from Middle French tromperie (14c.), from tromper "to deceive," of uncertain origin. Spelling influenced by trump (v.). Meaning "showy but worthless finery" is first recorded c.1600.