- a bright red produced in fabrics by madder, alizarin, or synthetic dyes.
- cotton cloth of this color.
- Adrianople red.
Origin of Turkey red
First recorded in 1780–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for turkey red
Lighting his pipe, he lay back in the Turkey-red chair, puffing in silence.
She wore a little Turkey-red frock, and she had neither hat nor coat on.Girls of the Forest
L. T. Meade
Within, the light of the swinging lamp fell on the turkey-red.Uncle William
And I can see the wallpaper and the Turkey-red cotton curtains.
She covered her chairs with Turkey-red cotton, frilling them round the seats.
- a moderate or bright red colour
- (as adjective)a Turkey-red fabric
- a cotton fabric of a bright red colour