- to use methamphetamine, cocaine, or other stimulant drugs: He'll try to avoid taking a drug test if he's been tweaking and toking.
- to engage in wildly excited or agitated behavior under the influence of such drugs (usually followed by out): If I'd seen someone else acting this way I would have thought they were tweaking on meth.
- to extract by pinching and pulling with a jerk, as with tweezers: In a twinkling she had tweaked out a dozen hairs and put them in an evidence bag.
- to remove (defects or unwanted features) by means of a minor adjustment: You have a couple of bugs to tweak out from your website, but you’re on the right track.
- to effect (an improvement) by means of minor adjustments: They were able to tweak out some pretty hefty performance improvements to the sound system.
- to optimize in this way: My operating system isn’t tweaked out the way I like, but it's running, stable enough, and ready for use.
- Slang. to engage in wildly excited or agitated behavior under the influence of methamphetamine, cocaine, or other stimulant drugs: She grabbed a knife and waved it around while tweaking out on crystal meth.He showed up shirtless and barefoot, tweaked out on cocaine.
- Slang. to make or become wildly excited or agitated; freak (someone) out: I decided not to tell my kids what I’d done so they wouldn't tweak out about it.
Origin of tweak
OTHER WORDS FROM tweaktweak·er, noun
How to use tweak in a sentence
Using various tweaks to the soft labels, they could get the kNN algorithm to draw precise patterns in the shape of flowers.A radical new technique lets AI learn with practically no data|Karen Hao|October 16, 2020|MIT Technology Review
So far, BuzzFeed has tried to chip away at the problem with product tweaks and new site features.
The tweaks meant more money for Dominion, because state law guarantees utilities roughly 10% profit on construction projects.Inside the Utility Company Lobbying Blitz That Will Hike Electric Bills|by Patrick Wilson, Richmond Times-Dispatch|October 9, 2020|ProPublica
Rather than fully characterizing how molecular circuits work together, machine learning can extract trends from experimental data, and in turn provide predictions on how a synthetic biology tweak changes a cell.How Machine Learning Made Hops-Free Hoppy Beer (and Other SynBio Wonders) Possible|Shelly Fan|October 6, 2020|Singularity Hub
The House bill makes several tweaks to the direct payments or stimulus checks.‘Very, very far apart’: Pelosi and Mnuchin fail to reach a deal on bill including stimulus checks and enhanced unemployment|Lance Lambert|September 30, 2020|Fortune
Almost every aspect of it has been tweaked and most of it has been radically changed.PlayStation 4 Review: The PS4 and the Gorgeous Next Generation of Gaming|Alec Kubas-Meyer|November 15, 2013|DAILY BEAST
He tweaked his racquet size, the tennis equivalent of flailing in the water.Roger Federer’s U.S. Open Defeat Was Bad, but He’s Not Dead Yet|Sujay Kumar|September 3, 2013|DAILY BEAST
A joint goes around, and one of my pals was bogarting it—he took a hit that got him so tweaked he forgot to pass it.Getting a Mile High: Legally Stoned in Colorado After Initiative 64|Winston Ross|January 19, 2013|DAILY BEAST
The company is being tweaked for its relatively measly investment in U.S. manufacturing.A Little Apple Goes a Long Way|Daniel Gross|December 9, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Lehrer is the first to say that there is room for improvement and that the format should be “tweaked.”Jim Lehrer: ‘I Have No Apologies’ for My Debate Moderator Performance|Howard Kurtz|October 5, 2012|DAILY BEAST
(groans) and tweaked their ugly noses, and whispered through the keyhole, "Wait till you guard the Christmas pie to-night!"Christmas Entertainments|Alice Maude Kellogg
I ought to get down on my knees and beg your pardon for the sly pinches I gave you, and the times I tweaked your curly hair.A Little Girl in Old Salem|Amanda Minnie Douglas
And when Milton was unable to laugh, the old man tweaked his ear with his leathery thumb and finger.Other Main-Travelled Roads|Hamlin Garland
He tweaked the string and his tweak was met with uncompromising resistance.The Incredible Honeymoon|E. Nesbit
But not a feather was tweaked out, or even disturbed, that I could see.Riverby|John Burroughs