- open to question; in dispute; doubtful: Whether or not he is qualified for the job is debatable.
- capable of being debated.
Origin of debatable
SynonymsSee more synonyms for debatable on Thesaurus.com
1. questionable, dubious, arguable, disputable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- open to question; disputable
- law in dispute, as land or territory to which two parties lay claim
Word Origin and History for undebatable
1530s (late 15c. in Anglo-Latin), from Old French debatable (Modern French débattable), from debatre (see debate (v.)). Earliest references were to lands claimed by two nations; general sense is from 1580s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper