- constant in effort to accomplish something; attentive and persistent in doing anything: a diligent student.
- done or pursued with persevering attention; painstaking: a diligent search of the files.
Origin of diligent
SynonymsSee more synonyms for diligent on Thesaurus.com
1. industrious, assiduous, sedulous. 2. indefatigable, untiring, tireless, unremitting.
1. See busy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- careful and persevering in carrying out tasks or duties
- carried out with care and perseverancediligent work
C14: from Old French, from Latin dīligere to value, from dis- apart + legere to read
Word Origin and History for undiligent
mid-14c., from Old French diligent (14c.), from Latin diligentem "attentive, assiduous" (see diligence). Related: Diligently.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper