- seeming not to belong to this earth or world: unearthly beauty.
- supernatural; ghostly; unnaturally strange; weird: an unearthly scream.
- out of the ordinary; unreasonable or absurd: to get up at an unearthly hour.
Origin of unearthly
Synonyms for unearthlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unearthlyabnormal, absurd, appalling, devilish, eerie, ethereal, extraordinary, fiendish, frightening, funereal, ghastly, ghostly, ghoulish, hair-raising, haunted, heavenly, miraculous, nightmarish, phantom, preternatural
Examples from the Web for unearthly
Historical Examples of unearthly
It was motionless as marble; but never had she seen anything so beautiful, and so unearthly.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
"What an unearthly hour," he said, unable to check the yawns.In the Midst of Alarms
When first I saw the donkey I saw him in the sunlight as the unearthly gargoyle that he is.Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
The steel-shod sides were bathed in an unearthly orange glow.Pirates of the Gorm
It covered the dawn, the clouding and the unearthly sunset of a hope.Shelley, Godwin and Their Circle
H. N. Brailsford
- ghostly; eerie; weirdunearthly screams
- heavenly; sublimeunearthly music
- ridiculous or unreasonable (esp in the phrase unearthly hour)