- to raise or represent (surface designs) in relief.
- to decorate (a surface) with raised ornament.
- Metalworking. to raise a design on (a blank) with dies of similar pattern, one the negative of the other.Compare coin(def 10).
- to cause to bulge out; make protuberant.
Origin of emboss
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to mould or carve (a decoration or design) on (a surface) so that it is raised above the surface in low relief
- to cause to bulge; make protrude
C14: from Old French embocer, from em- + boce boss ²
Word Origin and History for unembossed
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper