- not providing satisfaction; unprofitable: unfruitful efforts.
- not producing offspring; sterile: an unfruitful marriage.
- not yielding good crops; infertile: unfruitful acres.
- not bearing fruit; fruitless; barren: an unfruitful tree.
Origin of unfruitful
Synonyms for unfruitfulSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unfruitfulfruitless, impotent, infertile, sterile, unproductive, nonproductive, unsuccessful, arid, barren, effete, useless, wasted, acarpous, infecund, unrewarding
Examples from the Web for unfruitful
Historical Examples of unfruitful
The works of darkness are unfruitful because they are transient.
And they are unfruitful because, whilst they last, they yield no real satisfaction.
Futile for a time were the parental arguments, unfruitful every effort!Political Women (Vol. 1 of 2)
He has not cast out the unfruitful, but has tenderly spared them.The Parables of Our Lord
I coughed and made other noises, with like unfruitful result.The Wild Huntress
- barren, unproductive, or unprofitable
- failing to produce or develop into fruit