- a person characterized by universalism, as in knowledge, interests, or activities.
- (initial capital letter) a member of a liberal religious denomination advocating Universalism.Compare Unitarian Universalism.
- (initial capital letter) Also U·ni·ver·sal·is·tic. of or relating to Universalism or Universalists.
Origin of universalist
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for universalist
The universalist tendency of the religion also fitted it to spread to other lands.History of Religion
The sum was a large one in the then condition of the Universalist body.
Dr. N——, a Universalist minister, got off at Dubuque and bought medicine for me.Old Rail Fence Corners
He was a Universalist, a good man, I think, but not a great preacher.Memoir of Rev. Joseph Badger
Elihu G. Holland
Four came to the altar and were blessed, one of whom had been an avowed Universalist.Birth of a Reformation
- a person who has a wide range of interests, knowledge, activities, etc
- characterized by universality
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012