- not mentionable; inappropriate, unfit, or improper for mention, as in polite conversation; unspeakable.
- something that is not to be mentioned: That subject was classed among the unmentionables.
- (formerly) trousers or breeches.
Origin of unmentionable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unmentionable
Finally, 27 minutes and 48 seconds into his monologue, Benjamin Netanyahu mentioned the unmentionable: Palestinians.Netanyahu’s Iran Soliloquy at the U.N.
October 2, 2013
What really set her off was mentioning the unmentionable—that 18 years ago, she shot Mary Jo Buttafuoco.Amy Fisher Kicked Me Off Her Porn Shoot
August 3, 2010
The unmentionable image rattles down to the core of our brain.Do Women Rape?
April 16, 2009
Why the unmentionable mischief do you waste your energies, singing like that at a rehearsal?The Dominant Strain
Anna Chapin Ray
Even their quite mentionable episodes had an unmentionable air.Three Plays by Brieux
We knew suddenly that this place was left from the Unmentionable Times.
What kind of world did they have, the men of the Unmentionable Times?
We both knew it without words: this house was left from the Unmentionable Times.
- unsuitable or forbidden as a topic of conversation
- (as noun)the unmentionable
Word Origin and History for unmentionable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper