- not mentionable; inappropriate, unfit, or improper for mention, as in polite conversation; unspeakable.
- something that is not to be mentioned: That subject was classed among the unmentionables.
- (formerly) trousers or breeches.
Origin of unmentionable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unmentionables
Perhaps merkin awareness is growing as more actors are mentioning their unmentionables.Hollywood's Most Private Accessory
September 20, 2010
He clutched at Lin's unmentionables as he hung head downward.Watch Yourself Go By
Al. G. Field
Then came the turn of my unmentionables, then of my stockings, and so on.Trans-Himalaya, Vol. 2 (of 2)
His gloves were white, his unmentionables were white, and so was his waistcoat.
Well, unmentionables, my dear—I thought I should have died with laughter.The Cockaynes in Paris
So Edith sidled out of the room without looking around at her protege, while Star pulled on her unmentionables.Edith and John
Franklin S. Farquhar
- mainly jocular underwear
- unsuitable or forbidden as a topic of conversation
- (as noun)the unmentionable
Word Origin and History for unmentionables
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper