- interested in, concerned with, or based on what is real or practical: a realistic estimate of costs; a realistic planner.
- pertaining to, characterized by, or given to the representation in literature or art of things as they really are: a realistic novel.
- resembling or simulating real life: a duck hunter skilled at making realistic decoys.
- Philosophy. of or relating to realists or realism.
Origin of realistic
Synonyms for realisticSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unrealisticimpractical, unworkable, improbable, unreal, silly, quixotic, impossible, floating, gone, half-baked, impracticable, nonsensical, romantic, starry-eyed, theoretical, nonrealistic
Examples from the Web for unrealistic
Contemporary Examples of unrealistic
Expectations, reasonable or unrealistic, remain so even if we impose them on ourselves.Why Singles Should Say ‘I Don’t’ to The Self-Marriage Movement
December 30, 2014
It's not unrealistic to think they might have had a love affair if he had wanted it or known how to ask.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
One of the most romantic—and, some would say, unrealistic—phenomena of American culture is the concept of “the one.”Swimming Owls, Jane Krakowski’s Peter Pan Live! Audition, and More Viral Videos
The Daily Beast Video
December 7, 2014
Barbie is an unrealistic, unhealthy, insulting representation of female appearance.Sexism Begins in the Toy Aisle
November 29, 2014
He made only one unrealistic request as he sought to keep others from becoming infected and began a fight for his life.From Ebola Country to NYC’s Subways
October 25, 2014
Historical Examples of unrealistic
Such deviations were as unrealistic and sterile as Blanquism, against which the nineteenth century Marxists inveighed so heavily.Government in Republican China
Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger
They are not as small as unrealistic persons claiming superior private information would demand.State of the Union Addresses of Franklin D. Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
So I decided to explore his unrealistic beliefs about the state of affairs in Europe.He Walked Around the Horses
Henry Beam Piper
- not realisticunrealistic expectations
- showing awareness and acceptance of reality
- practical or pragmatic rather than ideal or moral
- (of a book, film, etc) depicting or emphasizing what is real and actual rather than abstract or ideal
- of or relating to philosophical realism