- incapable of being defended, as an argument, thesis, etc.; indefensible.
- not fit to be occupied, as an apartment, house, etc.
Origin of untenable
Synonyms for untenable
Examples from the Web for untenability
Historical Examples of untenability
Indeed, he himself illustrated the untenability of his idea.The War With Mexico, Volume I (of 2)
Justin H. Smith
The examination of those who squint demonstrates the untenability of this theory.Schweigger on Squint
Storm has pointed out, convincingly it seems to me, the untenability of the latter supposition.In Northern Mists (Volume 2 of 2)
One experiment deserves special record, as it also shows the untenability of the blood-poison theory.
This point of view illustrates the untenability of another objection to the freedom of the will, viz.Evolution
Frank B. Jevons
- (of theories, propositions, etc) incapable of being maintained, defended, or vindicated
- unable to be maintained against attack
- rare (of a house, etc) unfit for occupation