[verb uhp-sweep; noun uhp-sweep]
- to sweep upward.
- to be arranged in an upsweep.
- a sweeping upward, as an increase in elevation or a steep slope.
- a hairdo produced by having the hair combed or brushed upward to the top of the head; an upswept hairdo.
- a strongly pronounced rise in activity, as in business.
- a curved shape of the lower jaw of some animals.
Origin of upsweep
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for upsweep
Historical Examples of upsweep
"Somewhere I've heard your voice," she said with the upsweep of her lashes.Contrary Mary
- a curve or sweep upwards
- US and Canadian an upswept hairstyle
- to sweep, curve, or brush or be swept, curved, or brushed upwards
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012