- a state in the W United States. 84,916 sq. mi. (219,930 sq. km). Capital: Salt Lake City. Abbreviation: UT (for use with zip code), Ut.
- Military. the World War II Allies' code name for the easternmost of the D-Day invasion beaches on France's Normandy coast, assaulted by American troops.
- of or relating to Utah or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Utah
- a state of the western US: settled by Mormons in 1847; situated in the Great Basin and the Rockies, with the Great Salt Lake in the northwest; mainly arid and mountainous. Capital: Salt Lake City. Pop: 2 351 467 (2003 est). Area: 212 628 sq km (82 096 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ut, (with zip code) UT
Word Origin and History for utahan
U.S. teritory organized 1850 (admitted as a state 1896), from Spanish yuta, name of the indigenous Uto-Aztecan people of the Great Basin (Modern English Ute), perhaps from Western Apache (Athabaskan) yudah "high" (in reference to living in the mountains).