to put to use; turn to profitable account: to utilize a stream to power a mill.
- Also especially British, u·ti·lise .
- u·ti·liz·a·ble, adjective
- u·ti·li·za·tion [yoot-l-ahy-zey-shuhn], /ˌyut l aɪˈzeɪ ʃən/, noun
- u·ti·liz·er, noun
- half·-u·til·ized, adjective
- non·u·til·ized, adjective
- o·ver·u·ti·lize, verb (used with object), o·ver·u·ti·lized, o·ver·u·ti·liz·ing.
- pre·u·ti·liz·a·ble, adjective
- pre·u·ti·lize, verb (used with object), pre·u·ti·lized, pre·u·ti·liz·ing.
- qua·si-u·ti·lized, adjective
- re·u·ti·lize, verb (used with object), re·u·ti·lized, re·u·ti·liz·ing.
- un·der·u·ti·lized, adjective
- un·u·ti·liz·a·ble, adjective
- un·u·ti·lized, adjective
- well-u·ti·lized, adjective
- use, utilize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2023
How to use utilize in a sentence
In English archaic writings the instances in which the mention of the Satanic power is thus utilised are not numerous.A Cursory History of Swearing | Julian Sharman
Freud39 maintains that voluntary retention of the fæces is utilised for this purpose, but this appears to me very doubtful.The Sexual Life of the Child | Albert Moll
Meanwhile fuel ran short; bulkheads and spars had to be utilised; our ship reduced to skeleton state.Recollections of Thirty-nine Years in the Army | Charles Alexander Gordon
The foreign population lived in chops or hulks of Chinese junks; others were utilised as offices and merchants stores.Recollections of Thirty-nine Years in the Army | Charles Alexander Gordon
This rapport was utilised in magic for the behoof of these objects, and for the good of the tribe, which is singularly solidaire.The Secret of the Totem | Andrew Lang
British Dictionary definitions for utilize
(tr) to make practical or worthwhile use of
- utilizable or utilisable, adjective
- utilization or utilisation, noun
- utilizer or utiliser, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012