- a member of a ruling family of France that reigned from 1328 to 1589.
- a county in the Île de France, which became united to the French crown in 1167 and was established as a duchy in 1406.
- Dame Ni·nette [ni-net] /nɪˈnɛt/, Edris Stannus, 1898–2001, British ballet dancer, choreographer, teacher, and director: founder of the Royal Ballet (originally the Sadler's Wells Ballet).
Examples from the Web for valois
Historical Examples of valois
You, greater than all the Valois, should not let their example suffice.The Memoirs of Madame de Montespan, Complete
Madame La Marquise De Montespan
The family of Valois had long ceased to appear in the world.
Such was the condition of the house of Valois in France in the year 1592.
For about two hundred years the house of Valois had reigned.
This and many similar stories are told by Margaret of Valois in her Memoirs.Real Ghost Stories
William T. Stead
- a historic region and former duchy of N France
- a royal house of France, ruling from 1328 to 1589
- See de Valois
- Dame Ninette (niːˈnɛt). original name Edris Stannus. 1898–2001, British ballet dancer and choreographer, born in Ireland: a founder of the Vic-Wells Ballet Company (1931), which under her direction became the Royal Ballet (1956)