[bal-boh-uh; Spanish bahl-baw-ah]
- Vas·co Nú·ñez de [bahs-kaw noo-nyeth th e] /ˈbɑs kɔ ˈnu nyɛθ ðɛ/, 1475?–1517, Spanish adventurer and explorer who discovered the Pacific Ocean in 1513.
- a seaport in Panama at the Pacific terminus of the Panama Canal.
- (lowercase) a silver coin and monetary unit of Panama, equal to 100 centesimos.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the standard currency unit of Panama, divided into 100 centesimos
Word Origin for balboa
named after Vasco Núñez de Balboa
- Vasco Núñez de (ˈbasko ˈnuɲeθ de). ?1475–1519, Spanish explorer, who discovered the Pacific Ocean in 1513
- a port in Panama at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal: the administrative centre of the former Canal Zone. Pop: 2750 (1990)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012