- a cotton pile fabric with short pile.
- velveteens, trousers of this fabric.
- made of velveteen: a velveteen jumper.
Origin of velveteen
Examples from the Web for velveteen
Contemporary Examples of velveteen
The crowd torsos past the slots, a crush of velveteen, a sheen of sequins.The Stacks: Harold Conrad Was Many Things, But He Was Never, Ever Dull
March 8, 2014
Historical Examples of velveteen
He wore a fur cap, and shorts, and was of the velveteen race, velveteeny.The Uncommercial Traveller
The gentleman in the velveteen jacket was entirely roughed in.His Masterpiece
He wore a fur cap and shorts, and was of the velveteen race velveteeny.My Father as I Recall Him
For hunting he preferred the blouse and the velveteen trousers of the peasants.The Dead Command
Vicente Blasco Ibez
There the turf was smooth as velveteen, padded and holed by the rabbits.Sons and Lovers
David Herbert Lawrence
- a cotton fabric resembling velvet with a short thick pile, used for clothing, etc
- (as modifier)velveteen trousers
- (plural) trousers made of velveteen