or verde antique
- a green, mottled or impure serpentine, sold as a marble and much used for decorative purposes.
- any of various similar green stones.
Origin of verd antique
Examples from the Web for verd antique
Historical Examples of verd antique
Our astonishment was not lessened when we found it was one solid mass of verd-antique marble.Pencillings by the Way
N. Parker Willis
In the boudoirs of the sultanas they were sometimes of verd-antique, and incrusted with lapis-lazuli.Stories of the Olden Time
Chatterton took great pains to encrust his gold with verd-antique; it requires little to remove the green rubbish from the coin.
The great Plain of Esdraelon lay below us like a vast mosaic of green and brown--jasper and verd-antique.The Lands of the Saracen
The furniture was embellishcd with gorgeous carvings, and enriched with marble, jasper and verd-antique.The Empire of Austria; Its Rise and Present Power
John S. C. Abbott
- a dark green mottled impure variety of serpentine marble
- any of various similar marbles or stones
- another name for verdigris