or verde antique
- a green, mottled or impure serpentine, sold as a marble and much used for decorative purposes.
- any of various similar green stones.
Origin of verd antique
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for verd antique
Our astonishment was not lessened when we found it was one solid mass of verd-antique marble.Pencillings by the Way
N. Parker Willis
In the boudoirs of the sultanas they were sometimes of verd-antique, and incrusted with lapis-lazuli.Stories of the Olden Time
Chatterton took great pains to encrust his gold with verd-antique; it requires little to remove the green rubbish from the coin.
The great Plain of Esdraelon lay below us like a vast mosaic of green and brown--jasper and verd-antique.The Lands of the Saracen
The furniture was embellishcd with gorgeous carvings, and enriched with marble, jasper and verd-antique.The Empire of Austria; Its Rise and Present Power
John S. C. Abbott
- a dark green mottled impure variety of serpentine marble
- any of various similar marbles or stones
- another name for verdigris
C18: from French, from Italian verde antico ancient green