- of, relating to, or occurring in the evening: vespertine stillness.
- Botany. opening or expanding in the evening, as certain flowers.
- Zoology. appearing or flying in the early evening; crepuscular.
Origin of vespertine
Examples from the Web for vespertine
Historical Examples of vespertine
Odors from strong bacon and boiling coffee contended against the cut-plug fumes from the vespertine pipe.The Trimmed Lamp
Up Broadway Chandler moved with the vespertine dress parade.The Four Million
The vespertine hour was nigh, and over this iron landscape there floated the moon, an opal button in the sky.Visionaries
- botany zoology appearing, opening, or active in the eveningvespertine flowers
- occurring in the evening or (esp of stars) appearing or setting in the evening
c.1500, "of the evening," from Latin vespertinus, from vesper (see vesper).