- a military standard or flag carried by ancient Roman troops.
- a group of men serving under such a standard.
- video frequency.
- Also vex·il [vek-sil] /ˈvɛk sɪl/. Botany. the large upper petal of a papilionaceous flower.
- Ornithology Rare. the web or vane of a feather.
Origin of vexillum
1720–30; < Latin: standard, flag, diminutive from the base of vēlum sail (see veil)
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- ornithol the vane of a feather
- botany another name for standard (def. 16)
C18: from Latin: banner, perhaps from vēlum sail