- a military standard or flag carried by ancient Roman troops.
- a group of men serving under such a standard.
- video frequency.
- Also vex·il [vek-sil] /ˈvɛk sɪl/. Botany. the large upper petal of a papilionaceous flower.
- Ornithology Rare. the web or vane of a feather.
Origin of vexillum
1720–30; < Latin: standard, flag, diminutive from the base of vēlum sail (see veil)
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- ornithol the vane of a feather
- botany another name for standard (def. 16)
Word Origin for vexillum
C18: from Latin: banner, perhaps from vēlum sail
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012