- a military standard or flag carried by ancient Roman troops.
- a group of men serving under such a standard.
- video frequency.
- Also vex·il [vek-sil] /ˈvɛk sɪl/. Botany. the large upper petal of a papilionaceous flower.
- Ornithology Rare. the web or vane of a feather.
Origin of vexillum
Examples from the Web for vexillum
Historical Examples of vexillum
Vexillum we know, and vexillarius, but vexillarium goes beyond my Latin.About Orchids
Some writers apply this name (inaccurately) to flags of vexillum form, with or without tails at the base.
From the ends of this cross-piece, whether it held a vexillum or not, hung ribbons with silver ivy leaves at the ends.
Evidently these flags were symbols of authority, as we have seen the vexillum to have been centuries before.
Vexillum balzanum, so named from "balzan," a piebald horse; the word was subsequently corrupted to "beauseant."
- ornithol the vane of a feather
- botany another name for standard (def. 16)