- a city in SE France, on the Rhone River, S of Lyons: Roman ruins.
- a department in W France. 2720 sq. mi. (7045 sq. km). Capital: Poitiers.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for vienne
At 'beautiful Vienne,' Martial boasted that his works were read with avidity.The Roof of France
"Lieutenant Desmaret, of the Mobiles of Vienne," the officer said, frowning.The Young Franc Tireurs
G. A. Henty
This fortunate prognostic was confirmed on the banks of the Vienne.
The Rhone in like manner preserves its name, and flows on to Vienne.
He was alone when we left Vienne, and he is sound asleep now.Out with Garibaldi
G. A. Henty
- a department of W central France, in Poitou-Charentes region. Capital: Poitiers. Pop: 402 555 (2003 est). Area: 7044 sq km (2747 sq miles)
- a town in SE France, on the River Rhône: extensive Roman remainsAncient name: Vienna
- a river in SW central France, flowing west and north to the Loire below Chinon. Length: over 350 km (200 miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012