- determination of the concentration, by volume, of a substance in a solution, as by titration.
- determination of the volume of gases or changes in their volume during combination.
Compare gravimetric analysis.
Origin of volumetric analysis
First recorded in 1860–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- quantitative analysis of liquids or solutions by comparing the volumes that react with known volumes of standard reagents, usually by titrationCompare gravimetric analysis
- quantitative analysis of gases by volume
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Quantitative analysis using accurately measured titrated volumes of standard chemical solutions.
- Analysis of a gas by volume.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.