- a lumberjack's trunk.
- a lumber camp's supply chest.
- a small house on wheels or tractor treads, used as an office or shelter in temporary lumber camps.
- (especially in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest) a lean-to or other small addition built onto a house trailer, cabin, etc.
Origin of wanigan
Examples from the Web for wannigan
Historical Examples of wannigan
The wannigan is a floating bunkhouse, cookshed and store combined.
One of the clerks said, "I have charge of the wannigan—the first graft of the lumberjack."
Do the job up right if you have to buy out every wannigan in town.
In a bend of the river, below the place where the drivers were working, the large flat-boat called the wannigan, was tied.
In response to the call the rivermen hastily made for shore, and headed for the grassy place near the wannigan.
- a lumberjack's chest or box
- a cabin, caboose or houseboat