- a dog kept to guard property.
- a watchful guardian: a self-appointed watchdog of the public morals.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a watchdog.
- organized or functioning as a watchful guardian, especially against illegal or unethical conduct: a watchdog group in the legislature.
- to watch carefully, especially so as to detect illegal or unethical conduct.
Origin of watchdog
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a dog kept to guard property
- a person or group of persons that acts as a protector or guardian against inefficiency, illegal practices, etc
- (as modifier)a watchdog committee
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper